1. In 2014 we introduced not one, not two, but THREE new belts to the Flatter:Me line-up including Espresso Brown, Perfect Pearl, and Good Greycious – whose name YOU chose in our Facebook / Instagram poll. These three are now hugging waists from Norway to Sri Lanka (hi, Nim and Inger!).
3. The first annual Fashion Revolution Day took place on April 24, and we were thrilled to be among hundreds of fashion brands worldwide promoting its #insideout campaign. Fashion Revolution Day encourages consumers to ask how their clothing was produced – and we can’t wait to bring #insideout to our new Edmonton community. Stay tuned to see how you can take part this spring.
4. Our April Fools’ joke got taken seriously, and we received three orders for our newest product: the Flatter:Me Headband. #oops
5. Another first to celebrate in May - we found a home at Madame Mao’s Dowry, a Shanghai shopping landmark and our first retailer outside of Canada.
6. In July, we celebrated our third birthday with a pretty great gift: our 200th retailer! Super-flat pants-keeper-uppers are now officially available in every Canadian province and territory… except for Nunavut, which gives us a GREAT goal for 2015. Any Iqalummiuts out there?
7. The first-ever #beltfie was posted in August, when we asked all Flatterers in Instagramland to post a photo of themselves rockin’ their Flatter:Me’s. A randomly-picked winner won a free FMB - keep watch for this contest on the regular.
8. September brought a bittersweet change. Claire moved back to Edmonton, Canada after six years living in Shanghai, and three years working with the team of dedicated tailors who sew Flatter:Me Belts. She’ll be back to the ‘hai every few months, so be sure to keep an eye on the FMB Instagram to keep tabs on her gallivanting.
9. In October, we were featured by CBC Radio on the good ol’ fashioned airwaves. We shared our story of launching an ethically-focused startup and battling the stigma of the Made in China “brand.” Missed the segment? Never fear, the internet is here!
10. Sharing what we’ve learned about running a business is both a pleasure and an honour. In September, MacEwan University invited Claire to speak on a panel about entrepreneurship to an audience of B. Commerce students looking for inspiration. In October, she spoke to the University of Alberta’s senior Visual Communication Design class about developing a brand identity on a startup budget.
11. October also saw the launch of Flatter:Me Community Days, a new initiative that sees us closing up shop for one day every three months to volunteer at a local non-profit. Find out where we spent our first Community Day...
12. In November, we attended the first annual World Ethical Apparel Roundtable conference (WEAR) in Toronto. Sitting in the same room as representatives from H&M, Eileen Fisher, Roots, and other heavy hitters in the fashion industry made it clear that customers like you are demanding more transparency about how your clothes are made.
13. So, THIS is exciting... in November, Claire was nominated for the Alberta Women Entrepreneurs’ Celebration of Achievement Award! This is no small honour, and we can't wait to celebrate with all the other nominees this at the AWE Gala this spring.
14. In December, a monumental moment for Flatter:Me Belts – we unlocked the doors to our new office space at StartUp Edmonton, a co-working space we share with mega-inspiring entrepreneurs in downtown Edmonton. This is the first time Claire and Kristina, FMB's office manager extraordinaire, have worked side by side after two years of working from separate continents! We couldn't ask for a better way to start 2015.
Comments will be approved before showing up.